Jorge Masvidal wants to run it back with Nate Diaz, but this time under Muay Thai rules.
“Gamebred” and Diaz first fought for the inaugural BMF title at UFC 244, where the former secured a TKO victory in Round 3 after the cage-side doctor was forced to stop the bout due to severe cuts above and below Diaz’s right eye.
Nearly five years later, they squared off in a boxing ring, where Diaz avenged the loss by cruising to a majority decision win over the former UFC BMF champ.
With the scores now tied at 1-1, Jorge Masvidal has a great idea. He told MMA Junkie:
I got nothing personal towards Nate. I got a lot of respect and admiration for the dude, you know, what he’s done in his career and where he comes from and everything. But when we’re in there fighting, and we’re talking about fighting, I feel him way better in all aspects of fighting, you know.”
“Gamebred” pitched the idea of a third fight with Diaz, this time under Muay Thai rules with 4-ounce gloves.
So, I would love to smash him up, man. Maybe he wants to come. I don’t know. But Muai, let’s go. We did MMA, right? We did MMA. We did boxing. Let’s go fu*king full Muay Thai.”
During the same sit-down, when the idea of a potential trilogy fight with Nate Diaz being streamed on Netflix was floated, Jorge Masvidal liked it. While calling out his former rival, the 41-year-old added:
“Nate D, if you’re watching this, George just had a great idea. We could go throw down a Netflix. Muay thai though… None of this f**king hugging shit or any of these big f**king gloves. Let’s do Muai MMA gloves. That’s it, bro. Let’s fu***ng fight… Let’s put them 4 ounces on and fu**ing go all out.”
Check out Jorge Masvidal’s comments below (6:02):
Jorge Masvidal won’t fight at the White House
Nate Diaz most recently showed interest in returning to the octagon and has Conor McGregor, Mike Perry, and Dustin Poirier in his crosshairs as potential opponents. Earlier this month, Diaz also posted, letting the world know that he will return to claim the BMF title, which he believes is rightfully his.
Other than Diaz, even Jorge Masvidal had teased a UFC return and wanted to lock horns with “The Notorious” until Dana White called the matchup “goofy s**t.”
During the same MMA Junkie interview, Masvidal revealed that he won’t fight on June 14 at the White House. He said:
“It wasn’t too much negotiation. They got another idea. I wasn’t part of it. And I’m not mad at them, you know. They provided me with so much in my life. I really wish I could have been in that part. I really wish this could have been during my heyday, my prime. Then it would have been no question. But as far as me fighting on, I don’t think it’s gonna happen, brother.”
However, there is still hope as “Gamebred” also added that he would stay in shape and jump in on short notice to fight on June 14 if any light heavyweight or welterweight fighter on the card gets injured or backs out.
