Head coach at Xtreme Couture, Eric Nicksick, believes Jake Paul’s first MMA outing should be against Francis Ngannou, who also trains under Nicksick.
“The Problem Child” had signed a multi-year deal with PFL on January 5, 2023, and had been training BJJ with Mo Jassim and Michael Perez. However, earlier this year, it was revealed that Paul’s deal with the promotion had ended without even entering the SmartCage.
Francis Ngannou, on the other hand, last competed in 2024, where he stopped Renan Ferreira in Round 1 and captured the PFL Super Fights Heavyweight Championship.
Ngannou’s boxing career, however, has not been very impressive so far. He has suffered back-to-back losses against Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
Following Jake Paul’s loss to Joshua last December, “The Problem Child” stated that he performed better against the Brit and lasted longer than “The Predator,” who was knocked out in the second round by “AJ” in 2024. The YouTuber turned boxer quipped:
I told everyone that I’d do better than Francis. Francis kinda got no chin. Francis is lowkey soft… I’ll fight Francis. I think maybe now he’ll take [the fight].”
Eric Nicksick wants Jake Paul to make his MMA debut against Francis Ngannou
According to Eric Nicksick, the constant back-and-forth between Francis Ngannou and Jake Paul is the main reason an MMA outing between the two could turn into a great fight. He told Action Network:
The name that’s always going to stick out there now [for Jake Paul’s MMA debut] is going to be Francis, because of the boxing element, and Jake calling out Francis. I don’t know where Francis is at with his negotiations or his contracts with PFL. But, definitely, that’s a fight that would be cool, if the money’s right.”
However, Nicksick also warned Jake Paul, saying:
And after that little dialogue back and forth of these guys talking sh*t to each other, then you might as well if you want to jump in the deep end, and you want to fight Francis, because I’ll tell you what, man, I’m probably the same size as Jake and when I stand next to Francis, I feel like a little kid.”
After Jake Paul’s loss to Anthony Joshua, many fans and analysts, including Joe Rogan, advised the 29-year-old to avoid fighting in heavier weight classes, as in the long run, taking such heavy damage as he did in the “AJ” fight could lead to”deep depression, severe brain damage,” and other serious conditions.
Francis Ngannou’s contract with the Professional Fighters League is set to expire this year, as he had told Ariel Helwani. PFL CEO John Martin has also confirmed that Ngannou has one more fight on his contract.
“The Predator,” however, has shown little interest in the Paul matchup and has said he does not regret turning down previous lucrative offers to box “The Problem Child.”
